Sunday, September 6, 2009

Why try?

I've not been faithful with my postings lately. And I would tell you why. I've started working for a firm where they deal with "at risk" students. These are students who are about to be expelled due to their much "commendable" conduct. I'm not going to lie here. This job is emotionally and physically draining yet it's also gratifying in its own way. I could so relate to these students. They are crying out for help by acting out. It's so easy for us, the adults, to negatively label them for their boisterous, rebellious, hardcore actions. But how many of us make an attempt to understand where they are coming from; what causes them to act in such ways; what is their background like. I will remember this particular student forever. He is 14 years old. His dad was hung for murder and his mum is in prison. He has been sent to a boys' home. He has been labeled as the hardcore rebel who has no hope by his teachers. However, during my sessions with him, this is what I have observed. He is a refined, sensible, matured young man. He gives respect to those who treat him with mutual respect. He is very encouraging when I'm feeling helpless. Yes, I do feel helpless when I'm not able to reach out to the kids. When all they do is curse and swear, I feel like throwing in the towel. But his encouragement has pulled me through. He even advised me to read the book on "emo" ... lol. For all those of you who do not know what emo is ... it means emotional in the teenage lingo. I do miss his friendship. I would not be able to see him anymore because my session with him ended last Friday. Knowing my nurturing personality, my employers warned me not to exchange any contact info with him. I wish this young man all the best and he has definitely been one of the best teachers I have ever come across. I would not be coming here often as I am pretty tied down with this new challenge in life. But trust me, when I do have the time to let my hair down, this would be one of the venues I would be heading to. Till then, you guys take care and have an amazing life.

4 comments:

  1. What a challenging job you have, draining maybe, but very, very worthwhile to you and the people you help. I applaud you, and wish you the best of luck.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds like an incredibly challenging yet incredibly rewarding job. I wish that boy luck in his future.. the poor kid. I have actually read books on "emo" teenagers for school... and they are actually quite interesting. It helps you to better understand their perspective. I wish you all the best with this new area of work. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!Thats quite an interesting job and very demanding I must say. Theres always a positive side to every human being being, but in this life where we all seem to be running a marathon, we indeed have no time to understand others, its then that ppl like u do a terrific job:) All the very best to u, do share your experiences whenever u get time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you are doing what you are doing and thank you. Please don't forget to take care of yourself - it is easy to get burnt out quickly. And know that you are making a difference. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Your contribution is very much appreciated. Thank You :)