Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Letter To My Beloved Dog In Heaven



Dearest Vicki boy,
It has been almost 13 years since your demise. My life has never been the same ever since. I miss you immensely. I remember seeing you for the first time. I was taking a short nap one afternoon when my dad walked in with a box. He woke me up, asking me to open it. Feeling flustered, I did so reluctantly. To my surprise, there you were, peeking through the box with those soulful eyes of yours that pierced right through my soul. I fell in love with you instantly. You were a small black fury ball, with many bald patches on your head. How badly you were injured then! To think that someone had the heart to abandon a two-week old puppy in a drain! Thanks to dad for bringing you home or else I cant imagine what would have happened to you. Do you remember how our neighbours used to insult you by calling you an ugly stray? You did not give two hoots because you knew in your heart that you were part of a family that was so crazily in love with you. Your tricks and silly antics always left us in stitches. Do you remember how you used to bravely snarl at the kitten and quickly hide for cover behind my legs when her mother appeared? You were such a braveheart...not!

Vicki Boy, you were the best friend a young girl could ever get. You were there to waltz away with me whenever I played 'Hungry Eyes' and 'Time of My Life' in the background. You were there to lick my tears away when I broke up with my boyfriends. You were there to cheer me up when I was having a tough time in school. You were there to see my mum off faithfully every morning when she left for work. You were there to welcome us home every evening. You were there to protect us when dad spiralled out of control in his drunken stupor. You were always there for us and in everybody's hearts. In our eleven years together, not even once did you disappoint us. You were always such a joy to be with. You taught us how to laugh together as a family. You taught us how to express unconditional love. You were truly an embodiment of love and joy.

Your physical transformation over the first year was such a pleasant surprise to all of us. From a black fury ball with bald patches, you transformed into this brownish white handsome mutt. Adults and children alike couldnt take their eyes off you. With your refined mannerisms and cultured poise, you became our neighbourhood heartthrob. Even our dear neighbours couldnt stop singing your praises. You were the ugly duckling who turned into a beautiful swan. Simply, you were our four-legged miracle.

You know how much I love your friends. Ever since you left us, I have been passing my time with your friends at SPCA. I used to take your friends in whenever I found them lost or injured. I would keep them for a night at home and the very next morning I would return them to SPCA. In short, in your remembrance, I turned our home into an animal sanctuary. However, we have not raised another dog in our family since your passing on. At the point in time, we felt that none of your friends could ever take your place. Lately, my hubby and I have been contemplating on adopting one of your friends from the shelter. It's about time I moved on...dont you reckon? I so badly want to give one of your friends a good home with lots of unconditional love, care and tenderness. But I have to debate on a few issues here before making up my mind. Firstly, I'm not sure whether I will start comparing your new friend to you. I know its not fair to your new friend but what if I cant help it? You made every transition amazingly smooth.

Due to our busy work schedules, we will be away for long hours every day. Your friend has to be alone most of the time. Would that be fair to your friend I wonder! Thats my first and foremost worry. Secondly, how am I going to toilet train your friend without any expectations? Toilet training you was such an easy feat to us. Thanks to your ability to learn things fast. You guys are no different from helpless babies and I'm fully aware of that. But what if I lose my patience? It's now a battle between my head and heart. Heart wants to adopt one of your friends badly but head says no. Who shall I listen to??? Show me a sign will you......

I will now end my letter with this touching poem. It came to me in the nick of time as a soothing balm to my sorrow. Come March, it will be your 13th year death anniversary. I have decided not to mourn for you. On the contrary, I want to celebrate you. I want to celebrate life. Till we cross this rainbow bridge together, you stay content in the heaven of bliss. I Love You Vicki Boy!


The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.


All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.


You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

5 comments:

  1. That was tear jerking!! It's amazing how much animals mean to us. I don't know what I would do without my dog. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherish every second you have with him :). Stumbled upon the poem online and it moved to me tears.It is so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely words of remembrance. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your contribution is very much appreciated. Thank You :)